Saturday

Every Guy Needs a Good Drill

Of course I use "guys" in the generic sense. The word is often used in a gender non-specific way, as William Safire of the New York Times explains. Anyway, back to my main point – every guy needs a drill. Even the SeekFacta–wife agrees. She has been known to give excellent advice on tools. She has many, including a drill, a scrollsaw, a toaster and an oven.

My ancient non–reversing drill is nearing its death. After extensive research (10 minutes at Home Depot), I chose a corded Ryobi VSR-clutch model. Of course, VSR means variable speed reversing. But the sine qua non of this baby is the clutch. For years I have endured the pain of torque kick–back as a drill hit resistance. Now I can set the clutch so a torque threshold just causes the drill to stop (although with a loud grinding noise). Happy drilling everyone.

For Christmas you can get me an impact driver. This is a tool that looks like a drill, but ain't. They are like those air tools that mechanics use to bolt on tires. The electric impact drivers are also noisy, but they do drive screws and lag bolts with no torque–kickback. This activity occurs at a relatively slow RPM, which is why you wouldn't drill a hole with an impact driver.  SeekFacts Tag:tools

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home